As many projects, here I started with an idea. I tried to reflect the force and impact of the simple paintings of the pulp magazines era, combined with my personal fascination of the space exploration and the naivety of other times about the dangers of out of space exploration.
Some time after, I came back to this concept. I felt it needed to be fully flesh-out and in a proper way in oils.
So, I continued with another step, which was to search for references and keep improving the character's expression and also show he was not alone on this planet, was an expedition.
When all that work was ready, I lay out the new composition on the canvas and then a "dead layer" which is the initial color base for the painting. In this case, the color was an earthly color (raw amber). Then, the colors started to appear on top...
And, the end, the final painting is ready! Used a varnish on top to keep the colors fresh and vivid, but of course once all is completely dry: